Work Comp FAQ

What is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation is a state-regulated insurance system that provides covered employees with income and medical benefits if they are injured on-the-job or have a work-related injury or illness.

What if my medical provider takes me off work due to an on-the-job injury?

You must notify your Workers’ Compensation office immediately at 512-974-1310

What are the steps to become eligible for the Chief’s Aide program?

Step 1. You must have the Texas Workers’ Compensation Work Status Report (DWC-73) along with the Chiefs Aide form completed by your medical provider and submit to the Workers’ Compensation office at

Step 2. You must schedule an appointment with the Wellness Center for processing your Light Duty assignment.

Step 3. Contact the Workers’ office to discuss your Temporary Income Benefits

Step 4. When released to Full Duty you must repeat these steps to close out the Light Duty assignment 

Do I have to see a medical provider to return to work after being on a No Duty or Light Duty status?

Yes, you must see a medical provider to be released to return to work and also submit the completed DWC-73 to the Workers’ Compensation office at

Do I have to accept the Chief’s Aide program for the Light Duty assignment?

No, you can opt out of the program and use your personal time, sign the Bona Fide Offer letter indicating “rejected”. However, if you decide to participate at a later date, you can notify the Wellness Center and sign the Bona Fide Offer indicating “accepted.” Also, by declining the Bona Fide Offer you may risk forfeiting TIBS (Temporary Income Benefits) while working Light Duty.